Saturday 29 March 2008

29th March 2008, Desert Island Discs

Today something of a different vein. I am upstairs, the children are downstairs with their friends and judging by the noise, causing the usual chaos, however, as they have forgotten I am here I am left alone..............

But enough of my domestic life, now the thought of today -

I was driving to my office yesterday and was listening to the radio. On came Desert Island Discs and listening to this got me thinking.

What 8 records would I take to a desert island? What book and what luxury? and if I could then only have 1 record from my choice, what would it be? So here goes.........

Record 1 - Goodbye My Lover, James Blunt - A beautiful song with haunting lyrics. When all is quiet and I feel most alone I can look out over the sea and listen to this song and reminice about my family and friends. A little sad i know but sometimes this humility is needed.

Record 2 - Circle, Louise Cetara - Louise has a huge future ahead of her of that I have no doubt. I was introduced to Louise's music by her cousin (Bob), I owe him so much for this. This song is from a film, but is a great ballad and for that I can listen to it again and again.

Record 3 - Yellow, G4 -What a great version of this song, until now it had always seemed a little "pop" like for me, however, when G4 got hold of it........ I would listen to this as a upbeat version that would remind me of everything good and that loving someone is special

Record 4 - Say a Little Prayer, Bomb the Bass - A fabulous slow version of this original motown track. When I first met my wife (1988!!!!) this song was like "our tune", as was Donald where's your trousers, but let's not go here!! This song would be a constant reminder of us and our being together always.

Record 5 - Fairytale of New York, The Pogues and Kirsty McColl - This song is the absolute greatest Christmas song ever, it represents the definitive thoughts of Christmas. The song is upbeat and then whimsical within a few seconds. It represents all that is special about Christmas and highlights how Christmas can be special for everyone and should remain so. I have this song on various CD's a listen to it all year, not just in December, and having it to listen to on a desert island would serve to remind me of all the special things in life and how Christmas often serves to catalyse these thoughts and occurences.

Record 6 - Bat Out of Hell, Meatloaf - I am a huge fan of Meatloaf and his music. I have nearly all of the music and live Meatloaf is still a great actor putting on so much more than just a group of songs. This song should be played at full volume while we all scream out the words and air guitar to the chorus. On a desert island what better a place to enjoy this song at full bore and without anyone shouting "turn it down!!" The song lyrics serve to remind us all that despite everything and regardless of all, our chosen partner remains as our, sometimes, only constant that is there for us whether we like it or want it. They might be always right, but maybe we need this constant!!!

Record 7 - Old City Bar, Trans Siberian Orchestra - The TSO is a joinoing of Metalica, Jewel, Meatloaf ond various others to bring a rock trilogy for Christmas and an album in the middle celebrating the life of Beethoven and his life. The trilogy provides a modern Christmas story of epic proportions trying to reunite a family that for various reasons are not together. I found the TSO whilst looking for Carol of the Bells, what a find(!!), I continue to listen to their music as time passes. I became hooked on the music whilst travelling backwards and forwards between Birmingham and London as my Grandmother and Father lay in hospital as their time came to an end. Virtually every song evokes memories of this time, good and bad, some songs more than others. This song is not purely Christmasy and listening to something by TSO on the island would allow me to quietly listen to the lyrics, relate to them and maybe, just maybe, lay some ghosts to rest.

Record 8 - Anything for Love, Meatloaf live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra - This last song has taken ages to decide upon, I could listen all day to so much of a variety of songs. Everything from classics through to "mushy crap" ,as a my wife tells me, but I eventually chose this song. Australia was first to make this number 1 and 27 other countries then followed. That alone is a record to remember. This version has the Melbourne SO providing a fabulous background of classic rock and Meats huge voice carries it over. The song for me shows all that love can mean and what it means. I would run into hell and back, and I would never turn back and I WILL never do anything better because I would do anything. I know this sounds like a cliche and a repeat of the song, but, this is why I could put this on repeat for a long time as I would be the one who could scream out the lyrics with Meatloaf and alone on my desert island this one song would serve to remind me of how special love is and how special it is to clutch it close once you have it. Despite all, and as the song says, I won't do anything to ruin my love and I would do anything for love and to keep hold of it.

A Book - His Dark Materials,Philip Pullman - I never had to ponder over this. The trilogy of books might be aimed at a younger audience, although I doubt it, and is the greatest love story ever written. I could read this story over and over, I would always find something new and without a doubt the eventual end would still move me to tears. As Lyra and Will go on their journey both alone and togther an inevitability unfolds but the final battle and ending is both a twist and heartbreaking at once. It is for the reason of entertainment as a book and the fact that it would make me sit quietly somewhere and just read that is the attraction. Add in some beautiful music, what more could I ask for...........

A Luxury Item - Chocolate - How hard was this to chose. Do I want toilet roll, do I want golf clubs to swing? Actually I am a chocoholic and I NEED sugar in my blood. Good milk and white chocolate provides this. From Dairy Milk to Hotel Chocolat their remains no greater luxury than chocolate and the thought of not having some leaves me cold. For that reason, and that alone, I would like chocolate as my luxury.

One Song - How hard is this, all these 8 songs are special to me and I wouldn't want to be without any of them. But I must choose 1..............

Meatloaf, Anything For Love - For all the reasons above and I am sure others to mention. It came down to a toss up between Fairytale and this and I am sure at times I will wish I had chosen the other, but hey, I do love this song!!!

And so I have reached the end of my walk through my Desert Islands. I am sure this offers an insight to me. It may scare some rigid.

Now if all can add there Desert Island Discs I am sure we can build up a whole library of personal tracks and thoughts to share. Add away..............

4 comments:

reefa said...

I need to think about this, you have put some serious thought into this and now you have set me poor brain a moving. Will get back to you

reefa said...

My songs for a desert island are as follows:
1. Three Steps to Hevean - Eddie Cocheran.....I picked this because it makes me think of my brother Gary, and of happy times going to footie, or out to Crondall rock and roll. He always made me feel safe and happy, this was his song till the day he died and will always be his song.

2. Bad Attitude- Jim Stienman....I picked this song because it reminds me of how wild I was and I'm sure my mum would agree. But I enjoyed my wild side and who better to do air guitar and some harsh vocals to than the man that created Meatloafs sucess by writing Bat Out of Hell.

3. Cold as Ice - Foriegner
This song is an absolute legend. It makes me think of getting ready to hit the town in my clubbing days
we used to blast it out while we got ready and as soon as it went on you knew the weekend was here.

4. Its a Kind of Magic - Queen
Everything you could ever need in a song. It is a song that always gets people singing together and happy, it reminds us that when the little things that are good all join together we can create our own magic.

I will put the other 4 on tomorrow as am having a little trouble deciding.

si said...

Tough one, will let you know the full set but it will include

1. Run To You - Bryan Adams. I like the sentiment

2. Barbers Adagio for Strings - William Orbit. Takes me to a peaceful place

3. Breakin' The Law - Judas Priest. Oh to be a teenager

Anonymous said...

Have to do the record choices:
1, That's Alright Mama, Elvis: To my mind one of his best ever.
2. Wimoway, Miriam Makeba: this is the original African version
3. Moon River, from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Reminds me of my friend Beryl rocking my baby son for hours on end to this song
4. Nina Nanna Siciliano, Benjamino Gigli. Much loved record remembered from my childhood out of my father's vast record collection
5. These were the Days, Freddy Mercury. A wonderfully poignant song from his last years.
6. Endless Love, Diana Ross. Memories of a long lost love affair!
7. Liverpool Lullabye, Cilla Black: This reminds me of my daughter as a small child miming to this much loved song with all the facial expressions – “…Oh you are a mucky kid..!”
8. Take a Look at Me Now, Phil Collins. This moving song takes me back to earlier times and broken hearts!
One choice: Elvis, That's Alright Mama. Can't be without him on a Desert Island
Favourite Book: The Scapegoat, Daphne du Maurier. Fantastic, sensitive and enthralling book which I never tire of reading.
Luxury: Lots and lots of paper and pens to write rubbish for my own eyes only.
Eta