Friday 13 June 2008

Couldn't let this pass............

I couldn't less this pass. I admit to being competive Dad, and more, a proud Dad!!

Ballinger Bombers FC have just been announced as the winners of the U10 fairplay league after only 2 years, and also, and unheard of, the U8's have also won their fairplay league after only 1 year!!! 2 winning teams in one club, what an achievement.

I know my son is in the U10's but for both teams to win WOW!!!!!!

Let me now explain my rant and see if I am wrong???

Ballinger was formed less than 2 years ago, by another certain father who had the guts to "put his money where his mouth is" and look what has been achieved.....

Let me go back in time -

2 years ago the father asked me if I felt the same as him, as our children, who were not in the clique and thus never got to play in matches, were getting upset every week. I had to say yes. I had to deal with a child who is a great Goalkeeper, but despite promises, was never picked to play in matches. He wanted to be a goalie and the incumbent team had to badger anyone to be in goal, but he was always left out.

As a number of other parents felt the same, especially after the formation of a "numpties" concilation team, wanted to move away from the village team and form a new one.

Today proves we were right!!!

I appreciate that in the real world the nice decent people get trodden on by those that don't care. But we do care!!

Our children are just that - children. I do not believe that currently any David Beckham is amongst them, there are some great players, but the expectation is lower. What is important is that EVERY child gets to play in their team, regardless of ability. Some of the players are very good. Some are not so good. But they all try and we congratulate them regardless. They have tried their hardest and that is all that actually counts.

When Ballinger was formed it was stated that our Mission was to allow ALL children to play as much as possible, irrespective of their ability. It was not looked at as a vehicle to score hundreds of goals and to win everything. It was not looked at an ego-boosting vessel for us the parents to say how great we must be, just look at our kids.

If the team finished bottom we didn't really care. If the team lost (or loses) every match we didn't care. All we cared about was that the children enjoy(ed) their sport.

We also stated that as parents we would do everything we could to support our teams and also the teams of our opponents. Nothing would be viewed by us as worse than being seen as opinionated and vocal in a negative way by ANYONE regardless of team.

I believe that our results of today prove that in this, and regardless of the future, we were right in our thinking and delivery.

Years ago (when I was only about 10) my Grandmother (RIP) stated

"You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

I always believed this and despite everything still believe this. We all want to be millionaires, we all want to travel in our own helicopter. But I truly believe that it is actually more important to be true and just in as much as possible, and be respected for this, than to have the helicopter. This doesn't mean I don't want the millionaire lifestyle, it is more that I am realistic about the pitfalls of this.

If being rich means you have to tread on everyone in the process of getting to the top of the tree, I am not sure I want this for me or my children.

Everyone is only a step away from poverty or wealth regardless of where we are today. I have always been told the person you tread on today may well be treading on you in the future.

I may not be rich, I may not be at the top of the tree or in anyway succesful, BUT, I can hold my head up and say that at least it cannot be said "that James, what a Ba****D"

I can only hope that the Ballinger philosophy rubs off on my children.......

I would love to here views

No comments: