Friday 13 June 2008

Hello There, it is time to add a thought.......

I am sorry, I have to admit my additions to this Blog have been a little hit and miss of late. I don't know why, I know it is not "I can't be bothered" and I know I have had lots of ideas. I just haven't got them down!!! All I can do is apologise, and like my school reports always said, "must try harder!!!!"

Right now I have a large grin on my face - Today my 10 year olds football team won the fair play league after only 2 years of being formed. To add to this achievement the Under 8 team we have also won their league after only 1 year. I am a very proud father!!!

And so the thought of the day...........

I was listening to the radio recently and there was a news article during which the "spokesman" for the government stated that earnings were significantly up. The old were getting better pensions and poverty line people were getting more help. Then it was stated that the Old were some 31% better off and the average household were 16% better off. I don't know from when but we are all so much better off!!!

The spokesman then stated that they couldn't understand why, even after these rises, more people at all levels were struggling, on the bread line, below the bread line falling into negative equity etc.

Now call me stupid, but surely it does not take an economist to see that if incomes have risen and yet poverty has also gone up more, then the cost of living is higher than the 31% rise in pensions or 16% in family income or else the poverty would not be rising.

It also would not take a rocket scientist to see that fuel prices are rising out of control, energy costs are rising out of control, food costs are out of control and so are lots of other everyday prices. However, pensions, wages and benefits are very much not out of control.

So why the huge surprise and how is this helping the “man on the street”??

I do not see how the average person is being helped. The gap between the poor and obscenely rich is growing wider by the minute and, despite this sounding like jealousy, the poor are getting poorer.

The wages available are getting less, the jobs are getting less and the employer knows and states that if the "employee doesn't like it he can leave" for everyone who cannot afford to work, there will be someone who will. People who considered themselves as not flush but "above water" are now struggling and often cannot afford to actually go to work as the petrol price is too high.

Add this to a large number of offshore companies queing up to step in how is the UK person supposed to survive??

I was speaking to an Australian lady today and had to agree that something here is wrong. Even she said that if her brother came here from Australia looking for work, he would turn arounbd and go home as the UK is in such a mess.

I would love to here any views about this strange situation...........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the item on the Ballingers teams' football success with great pleasure. I remember going to watch this team play one weekend and I was thrilled, excited and choked to see how the parents were cheering wildly for a team considered to be the underdogs. No, these weren’t underdogs, these were their boys, their pride and joy, their winners! No matter that they didn’t win that match; they played their little hearts out and Mums and Dads were so proud. So what if they weren’t the A team, their parents were there for them, devoted, encouraging and cheering!

I remember reading once that a child that grows up with criticism turns into a defeatist. There are two schools of thought – one states that adverse criticism acts as a challenge and strengthens the resolve. The other view is that it undermines to such an extent that you lose the desire to try. I happen to go along with the more pessimistic second view. Never one to deal well with challenges I can only marvel that those boys took their knock backs and still rose to the top! Well done boys – and well done to those wonderfully supportive parents.