Wednesday 5 September 2012

Desert Island Discs Re-Visited

A while ago, actually a long while ago, I offered a suggestion of what I might take if I was lucky enough to be  put on an Island with a few discs and a few luxuries.

Now in 2012 I want to the the liberty of revisiting this, picking 10 songs, a book and a luxury. Have things changed that much since 2008..............

1) Someone Like You - Adele: This song paints a picture of what might happen if you don't seize the moment. I know I am bad at this, I am the original example of "do as I say not as I do" but this song shows the extreme. If you do not tell your partner how you feel do not be surprised if they marry someone else!!

2) Believe - Trans Siberian Orchestra: Everything about this song explains why some sort of belief is necessary in life. I am not saying everyone needs to suddenly find religion, or rush to Church, Mosque or Temple, but this song shows, and clearly says, that regardless someone is always there for everyone, we just have to believe this and ask. A little like "Your wish is my command" but this is not materialistic, this is for help and support, and this makes the song special, sometimes we all need reminding.

3) This is Your Song - Ronan Keating: A song for everyone's Mother, and mine, and every time I here it it reminds me that although we may sometimes have different views, or strange words, it is still my Mother and this song is special for that reason alone.

4) Hallelujah - Bon Jovi: There are lots of versions of this song, everyone has tried it, Jeff Buckley did it first and everyone else followed. The version in Shrek is great, but, the Bon Jovi version is just a reminder that after all is said and done Jon Bon Jovi still does justice to great songs like this!! He did Dead or Alive all those years ago, and this is not that removed. The song has great lyrics and is just a great version of a classic Leonard Cohen song.

5) For Cryin Out Loud - Meatloaf: We have all been there, whether we were 14 or 40, we poured out our hearts to a prospective partner, but "for cryin out loud" it just wasn't quite sinking in, they were always there, always helping and listening and then "bang!!!" you realize and they haven't yet, and the song lets you pour your heart out!!

6) Goodbye my Lover - James Blunt: When things go wrong, and an end appears on the horizon there is nothing other than heartbreak, the end may not be caused by anything deceitful or offensive, it may just be a natural progression, it may be, God forbid, a real end, whatever it is emotions will be blown all over the park. This song tries to show these emotions from one slant, and bring them back, it doesn't look for an excuse, or forgiveness, it just highlights the past and how the future will be felt. A moving tribute to a possible occurrence.

7) Fairytale of New York - The Pogues: The definitive song for Christmas, but also just a song for always. When Kirsty Mcoll died tragically the music industry lost a huge talent. The song just epitomises everything about Christmas, relationships, New York life in general and also still has a good feeling about it, so for that reason alone off to the Island it goes.

8) Say a Little Prayer - Bomb the Bass: In 1988 my Wife and I became a couple, this song became "our song" way back then, lots of people have released versions of it, but this version is just slow and somehow part of the whole 80's thing. The song remains, as does me and my Wife, we have never been apart since and this song will always stay with me.

9) Yellow - G4: I just love this version of yellow!! I know it is not the original, but it is just better to my ears, I am maybe older and prefer the more classical song, but it is great and coming with!!

The 10th, and last song, possibly the hardest to choose, I have spent a while, but here it is.........

10) The Prince of Peace - Trans Siberian Orchestra: This song is from the first TSO album, Christmas Eve and Other Stories, in the Christmas Trilogy. I first found the TSO back in about 2004 when looking for a certain song, I fell in love with their music right there and then. I quickly had parts 1 and 2 of the trilogy and Beethoven's Last Night, and eagerly awaited part 3 of the trilogy at the back end of 2004.

In the middle of 2004 my Father's cancer got worse, and his return to Cyprus was not possible, I often had the TSO albums on in my car as I journeyed to see him in London.

In November 2004 I got that fateful call telling me to get to London, and I was in Birmingham with my terminally ill Grandmother (another tale), just over an hour later I was in London!! On my car radio this song was playing, the TSO were on in my car when I left the hospital 3 days later. When I now hear these albums, especially this song, it reminds me of my Dad. Not the bad end, but the nice times, the fun and the good times. This song, and the others, are just the catalyst to awaken those memories.

I am not living in the past, playing this over and over, but when I hear it I smile, so I'll bring it to the Island and smile when I need to!!

The book - 

Right, I get a Bible, and Shakespeare, can't wait to think how to use that(!!), but I need a book, I am a massive advocate of eBook readers, they are the best thing for those of limited dexterity. You will never replace a books feel and smell. The joy of turning crisp new pages cannot be replicated, but, with my eBook I don't loose my page, drop it or struggle with the weight, so I want one of those not real books please, I think I can argue that on medical grounds!!

For a book that is hard, I still love The Dark Materials Trilogy, but I have read so much!! I know every Wilbur Smith intimately, I have enjoyed all Dan Brown books, I keep hearing of 50 Shades of Grey, The Hitch Hikers Guide to The Galaxy..............

It has to be The Dark Materials Trilogy.

The Luxury Item - 

That is easy, I am very fussy, I just want a never ending supply of Shea Butter Toilet Roll, as I am used to!!!
The correct wiping of my bottom is very important to me, and I do not hold with leaves and stuff. When I go away I take rolls with me!!!



No comments: