Friday 7 September 2012

Inspirational Quotes

“The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score.” - Bill Copeland

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them. Inspiring Quotes-Quote by Henry David Thoreau

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” - Michael Jordan


A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, and always with the same person. - Mignon McLaughlin

Behind us are memories, beside us are loved ones, ahead of us are dreams.

Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realise that were the big things.

And I could fill pages and pages, with quote after quote, designed to offer inspirational thoughts to us from people in all walks of life and from all periods throughout history.

The question is, however, are we inspired or do we merely see these quotes as the opposite, purely here to show what can be done and achieved whilst we struggle to even manage the simplest of tasks!!

I am well aware that to make things happen I really should put in place a goal to aim at, or else I will just run up and down achieving nothing. Do I need Bill Copeland to point this out to me? Did I need his genius to tell me that I am meandering around doing very little!! 

Am I inspired or just plain fed up because another smart-arse is pointing out the obvious, that will be the smart-arse who is probably not thinking how to pay the mortgage, credit card bills or anything else, because making statements like this are quite happily making him a wage.

Sometimes these quotes mean nothing, and yet we still say "wow, what a great quote!!" 

I am sorry, what total rubbish!! what does the Henry David Thoreau quote really mean? A castle in the sky, that would be a personal dream of mine, and  it would not be a reality, ever, so how can I put a foundation under it!!!

There are people who are masters of the rubbish quote, that they thought was inspirational - 

Ronald Reagan: Nations do not mistrust each other because they are armed; they are armed because they mistrust each other. 

Ronald Reagan: "I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency -- even if I'm in a Cabinet meeting."

Ronald Reagan: "Well, I learned a lot....I went down to (Latin America) to find out from them and (learn) their views. You'd be surprised. They're all individual countries"

Bill Clinton: As we have throughout this century, we will lead with the power of our example, but be prepared, when necessary, to make an example of our power.

An empty head is not really empty; it is stuffed with rubbish. Hence the difficulty of forcing anything into an empty head. - Eric Hoffer

Worryingly Reagan seems to have a staring role here!! But we just need to look at the quotes, digest, and then realize they are total rubbish. However I look at things I cannot glean inspiration from knowing my head is full of rubbish!!

So how can a quote inspire me? Some thing's I read must, when I read of a Para-Olympians triumph over adversity to then win a gold medal, I might be inspired. Not inspired to be an athlete, but inspired that in their world they needed to prove their athletic prowess existed and that disability would not hinder them. In my world acceptance of what is past and what is present is an issue, so an inspiration to me has to ignite a flame to overcome this challenge. 

The inspirational quote to the athlete may have been something totally non related to their circumstances, it may have had nothing to do with sport. They may have felt that when Richard Bach said “The more I want to get something done, the less I call it work.” was so inspirational they just took that as their mantra and took on the world!!
Thus in reality any quote, from a one liner from a Christmas cracker, through to a Shakespeare monologue can be viewed as an inspirational quote. The words take on a meaning that in theory is unique to every reader. 

A joke - A man walks into a bar, Ouch!!

Somebody seeing this may draw inspiration..........

An example if I had a drink problem I might see this as my inspiration and mantra in that I would say it every time I walked past a bar and wanted / needed a drink. 

I walk into that bar - OUCH!!!

I am reminded of consequences, my choice is then to face the demons or take the consequences; inspiration from a silly one line joke!!

Therefore, I can say I feel some quotes are rubbish, I would say some statements out of certain peoples mouths are just dangerous in their stupidity, but, I have to accept that my opinions are just that, opinions!!

I cannot make people accept my point of view as correct, unreservedly, any more than I can be made to accept theirs. An inspirational quote is just that, and remains, as inspirational as it is needed to be.

No comments: