Thursday 20 September 2012

I was upset,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A strange thing happened today, for the first time EVER, in all the time I have had MS and been classed as disabled, which is some 5 years now, I was made to feel embarrassed, and was upset. I walked away and was not even going to be "eloquent" with a manager!!!

Normally, and I had made a pact not to, I was not going to use this Blog to rant about MS and stuff, but just his once..............

Let me set the scene -

Today was my Mother's 70th birthday, after I had ribbed her for being old and told her she really should now consider an OAP home(!!), I deliberately never told her I would join her and my Sister at Cliveden Hotel for afternoon tea, and everything was set for the afternoon.


I pulled up today outside the hotel, the concierge offered his help, I asked for disabled parking. He informed Cliveden had none but very grudgingly let me park next to a car half way down the car park. I drive a 3 year old Volvo S60, it is not a wreck and quite respectable. My Sister joined me a few minutes later, in her brand new BMW Z4, she just parked near the door, he never even looked, so you just need a nice car, or good figure!!!!

I  never reacted to this, we were at the hotel for afternoon tea, to spoil my Mother for her 70th Birthday.

There is no disabled ramp access, I have a walker device to help my mobility, but with help from my Mother and Sister, I was able to get up the steps to the hotel. No comment was made by any staff, no help or alternative was offered. We were shown to a table, and again no "easy" route was suggested, had there been people at other tables I would have had further problems. So either the staff were embarrassed or just plain ignorant!!!

Afternoon tea was very good, and the staff were very attentive and I could not fault their service. At least there is a plus point here.

And then the major issue arose..............

I needed the toilet, I went off looking for the disabled facilities, the easy access facilities designed with the disabled in mind. The ones on the same level, with no steps to negotiate, and maybe a little wider than normal with a few handles as well.

Firstly a cleaner pointed at the "Gents" so I struggled down 4 steps, with my walker, but the toilet was down a spiral type staircase. I can't go down those with the walker. So I struggle back to the lounge, find a member of staff and ask for the disabled toilet, after a few minutes of consultation with a colleague, I am told the apparently only disabled toilet is "out of order!!"

My Mother and Sister suggested I used a "Ladies" toilet whilst they stopped others coming in. The staff thought that was a good idea!! So I struggled down another 4 steps, used the "Ladies" whilst my Mother and Sister stood guard. Maybe if they had rifles they could have marched up and down as well!!

I have MS, I was diagnosed back in 2007, through the progression of the illness I have been forced to use the walker since about 2010. In all that time today was the first time I have EVER been embarrassed through being disabled and having to use a walker.

I never thought of parking as an imposition, I never thought that I drove an embarrassment of a car, perhaps I should have used my Wife's Volvo XC90 instead. I certainly would never have felt that an establishment of the calibre that Cliveden claims to be would not have disabled facilities and a contingency plan in place if existing facilities are not in use.

Maybe they were meant to say "if I walked into the ground and cocked my leg against a tree like a dog, or maybe added to the water in the fountain lake................."

So I just wanted to spout off here a bit, because I was left a bit, or actually a lot, deflated, and surprised that in this age of disabled focus, and when the Para-Olympics have just been such a high profile, how anywhere, and especially somewhere of Cliveden's calibre and alleged excellence, can be so bad at dealing with a fairly low level disabled person!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Disability Discrimination Act is not my area of legal expertise but as I understand it they are obliged to make suitable adaption of the premises to cater for the less able. Whilst in old historic/listed buildings such as Cliveden there may be some watering down of the obligation as they obviously can't start ripping it apart it doesn't absolve them completely - the car park and ramp are definite things they should be doing. Their staff should also be trained on how they should be dealing with those with additional needs - both from a legal POV and simple, customer service/business sense. I am a solicitor working as a consultant based from home where I don't hold meetings but I still have to do my DDA training!

If they don't give you a satisfactory response, you may want to consider reporting them to organisations which support the disabled and also the numerous traveller/fine dining bodies that have awarded Cliveden a number of stars. As you say, there is a new air of respect following the Paralympics, long overdue, which may make people take a bit more notice.

Good luck!
TH

The Prince of Peace said...

Thank you for this, in fact I am not sure a mere thank you is enough!!

I am aware of the DDA and agree Cliveden has, if not broken this properly, come very close to crossing the line.

My (very volatile) Sister wants to phone Cliveden today and give them both barrels, but I am taking a calmer approach!!

The first letter goes today and we shall see..........

In the mean time, thank you again.

James

Unknown said...

I would of been furious. I am amazed of how well you conducted yourself in such a difficult situation. We are not rejects and shouldn't be treated as such. Everything now a days is supposed to be wheelchair accessible and accomondations made for the handicapped. It's bad enough we have to struggle with our own emotional issues dealing with this diesase as it steals aways parts of who we are, but then to have such disservice added to that...well it's disgusting. Kudos for keeping your cool. I know I would of. haha