Wednesday 9 January 2008

A very quick rant having read a news release

This is just a quick rant having just read a news release about the M&S quarterly sales figures......

Today is the 9th of January and M&S are saying that like for like sales are down by 2.2%.

Now M&S say this is due to market forces, consumer confidence being down, interest rates, the cash squeeze etc...

I say NO, the sales in M&S are down for other reasons. In my opinion, and only in my opinion, the reason M&S sales are down is purely as they do not have enough stock or any idea of what they actually have.

I am still trying to sort out my Christmas orders as firstly M&S cancel my order, then dispatch it!! I have received some but not all of it, and M&S remain silent. Despite my continual requests to speak to them to try and solve issues and find out what they think I should have and what I actually have.

So I would say that market forces may have effected the M&S sales, and telling me goods are not any old goods but M&S goods in TV adverts may be good for them, but as a consumer I now am using other online suppliers as I can no longer trust M&S

Let us be honest, I get stuff from Hong Kong in 2 weeks, the USA in 1 week and other suppliers in the UK, who are actually only small in comparison, can get me goods in a day!!

Is my confidence with M&S who just don't know what they have done or suppliers that do.

M&S have always been viewed as the main-stay of British retailing, I am afraid that these laurels cannot be rested upon and these figures and mine, and other consumers experiences, just go to prove this further.

Mr. Rose may be spouting off all sorts of "pink spectacle" quotes and the belief may be that it is fine. But I suggest sell the group to Philip Green and let him get on with making M&S back to the mainstay of the British retail market again.

Any thoughts????

No comments: