Tuesday 22 January 2008

A worrying situation - The rant today......

I got sent an analgy to look at today as the sender thought I might be interested to see it and they were interested in turn to hear my opinion.

Now I am anything but a "goody two shoes" type of person. BUT I do not believe in racism, i do not care if a person is white, black, yellow or green!! I like people unreservedly, irrespective of background, race or colour. If a person and I do not "hit it off" and we do dislike each other I would hate to think this was anything other than a personality clash and certainly not race driven.

Here is the analagy as it was sent to me -

Haven't heard it put this way before, but it's a great analogy. I bought a bird feeder. I hung it on my back porch and filled it with seed. What a beauty of a bird feeder it is as I filled it lovingly with seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food.
But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue. Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table...everywhere! Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket. And other birds were boisterous and loud. They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food. After a while, I couldn't even sit in my own back garden anymore. So I took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio. Soon, the back yard was like it used to be ..... Quiet, serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.
Now let's see..... Our government gives out free food, subsidized housing, free medical care, and free education and allows anyone born here to be an automatic citizen. Then the illegals came by the tens of thousands. Suddenly our taxes went up to pay for free services; small apartments are housing 5 families; you have to wait 6 hours to be seen by an emergency room doctor; your child's 2nd grade class is behind other schools because over half the class doesn't speak English. Corn Flakes now come in a bilingual box; I have to 'press one' to hear my bank talk to me in English, and people waving flags other than the Union Jack are squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties. Just my opinion, but maybe it's time for the government to take down the bird feeder. If you agree, pass it on; if not, continue cleaning up the poop!

Now, when i got this i read it quickly and thought it was a bit controversial!! I have now read it properly........

I am appalled that these type of thoughts are being sent around the internet using e-mail channels to "spread the word".

The analgy is very good. It uses birds to illustrate what is considered by its author a serious issue. We all can relate to birds and most of us have bird feeders scattered around our gardens or outside our flats. So we all can understand the analagy!!

However, when the subject is properly read it is one of the most inflamatory pieces of literature ever written. It is openly suggesting that UK immigration is the cause of all ills and that removal, of the immigrant population will solve all problems. It has to be assumed that this originated within a very racist organisation, or possibly a political party that is apparently growing in strength.

I am a white, british citizen from birth. I am not an ethnic minority or similar. I am blessed with lots of great friends - of all colours and races. I frequently visit Muslim countries such as Turkey and during my late teenage years I was in the Middle East for an extended period. I spend regular time in Northern Cyprus and have a large number of friends there both locals and ex-pat. Does this make me an expert? No. Does it mean I possibly see things from a varied perspective? Maybe.

In my opinion, and small experience, there is good and bad in all races. Does this make "immigrants" potentially all bad and set on taking over this country?

I would absolutely and without reservation say a rousounding NO, this thinking is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. In all races a small number of misguided people will undoubtedly cause these issue to be magnified.

The UK right now is far from perfect, BUT, how can it be correct (or right) to blame all the problems upon immigration. Without a doubt a small number of the immigrants that come to the UK are what we would call "radicals", hell-bent on recruiting more fundamentalists and creating havoc through terrorist actions and derogitory statements. However most people coming to the UK are just scared people, who like all of us are trying hard to provide for their families. They will have children to support and partners and parents who need help. All I see is a number of people who are trying hard, often for very low wages, to provide the best they can for their loved ones.

Surely this is all anyone wants, we look at countries such as Australia as the answer to our problems, we can't say if the grass is greener there, in the same way that people coming to the UK are looking for the country to provide them with a better way of life and future. Is there a difference? The only difference is see is the expectation.

The low wages we pay to immigrants they grab gratefully with both hands as a better option to their own countries. We emmigrate to offer a better future to our families, the change is that in the western world we live in we expect to go elsewhere and be even better off. The expectation is different, but the need is exactly the same.

Does this mean that in countries such as Australia we are looked upon as interlopers. Taking jobs from the incumbent peoples and causing trouble? I cannot answer this, but it is a worrying thought.

And so to the analagy, this was written and spread by a callous person(s). It without a doubt will stir up emotions. Some will agree with it and spread it more. As hatred grew in the 1930's in Germany it is again growing.

In the 1930's the but of issues were the Jew, now it is the Muslim and the immigrant. I see people from Poland, Afghanistan, Russia working as hard and often harder than the UK people. The immigrant stays grateful for anything, the British people often "just expect". Maybe, just maybe, people will sit up and think. This influx is not bad, this influx is not a threat. The influx has just highlighted the real issues, The "british people" feel they are too good to provide menial labour. Immigrants don't, they work long and hard to provide and they do not care how, they do not think anything is "too low" to be done.

I say the real problem is the author of the analgy. This analagy is inflamatory and disgusting. I suggest its writer is also disgusting. If their aim was to stir up emotion then it has worked. If its aim is to gain support for the thoughts, and scarily, maybe.

It is the job of everyone who is rational to now spread the good side of the coin, and to do all we can to stop these thoughts NOW. Please comment on this "rant" and let me know your feelings, maybe i am wrong!!!

No comments: