Sunday 26 August 2012

Mid Life - A time for a crisis??

Mid-Life Crisis, here it is a train wreck waiting to happen, and potentially as we all reach an age that can be considered "mid-life" here comes the crisis!!

So what is mid life, and indeed what is the crisis?? is it a real occurrence or are all of us using it as an excuse? A fable we use to cling to our youth and deny the encroaching years, a reason "why", or just a lame get out clause that is raised when the going gets tough.............

Mid-Life, if we forget unforeseen accidents and illnesses, not because they are any less tragic just for ease they are not appropriate here, we assume mid-life to be a mystical era that we all strive to attain and avoid at the same time!!!

We are happy to say we are early 40's but not middle aged, we laugh when so called old people say they are middle aged, but deny we are near there. So is middle aged also a never to be realised era that only exists in the imagination? Old people want to be that young, and "young" people could never be know as middle aged!!!

So if middle aged is a fable that we never really are, and we seem to jump from "early 40's" to "old people" where does the mid-life bit fit in? how can we have a crisis if the crisis time doesn't exist??!!

What is classed as mid-life, it is not early 40's but later, say 45 that means we will all be at least 90 when we call it a day and go onto pastures new, Prince Philip is, I know of other 90+ people. My own heritage would suggest an earlier time, my Father checked out at 65 so did my Mothers father. My Fathers Mother was around 65 as well. Ironically my other Grandmother and Grandfather were well into their 80's. My Mother is approaching 70 rapidly and spending my inheritance nicely!!!! But based on these, although somewhat scant, facts I should accept my mid-life was a few years ago, and also I can no longer have a crisis!!!

Which brings us nicely to the whole crisis subject..........

From observation the crisis seems to take 3 forms -

  1. A juicy affair
  2. A complete going off the rails and mad stage
  3. The purchase of a very silly large motorbike
If we look at these 3 areas all have significant downsides - 
No.1 ends and normally badly and with divorce
No.2 ends badly and normally with medical intervention, and maybe divorce
No.3 ends (probably) badly, with medical intervention, life altering injuries, and a stupid grin!!

So what happens?? I only talk from one side of the coin, I have a view that is only my view and in no way can be used as an excuse. I do not want irate partners coming after me having been told "this blog said this, so I did that!!" 

When we reach the elusive age called "mid-life" a panic sets in, suddenly a wake up call occurs and reality hits as any unfulfilled dreams or thoughts may well be about to be slipping away terminally. 

Some people always wanted to sleep with hundreds of people, or just that one hunk or beauty at school - hence the affair.

Others wanted totally unattainable dreams, at 20 they looked real at 30 they were there still by mid-life realisation occurs that they will never happen, and off the rails they go.

Some always wanted the thrill of danger and speed, they yearned to be a pilot in the RAF or Jenson Button, but, in reality life said "NO" now they can do a little, thus the motorbike!!

And from the ashes of a dream formed in youth comes the mid-life crisis!!!

Some people are lucky; they don't have the crisis, life goes on and with it their lives. They have what they want and need, they asked for whatever and "your wish is my command" they got it. They may have an "Old Age Crisis" however, one thing at a time!!!!

Personally, I feared being 40, many men did, I feared the thought that I may have a mid-life crisis to worry about.......and what happened, absolutely NOTHING!!! Maybe I was already off the rails and mad!!! I really don't do motorbikes, no balance you see, I fancy a convertible but that is sanctioned, and as for the other I am unshakeable for my wife, and the man or mouse thing eek, eek, eek............

So is the whole mid-life thing overrated, Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh would say so, my jury is still out, I know of plenty who have had and are having a crisis. I know of many divorces, I know of more motorbikes!! All I do know for sure is that like it or not we all get older and at 40ish something does change, or maybe we just realise our own mortality for the first time when our child challenges us to a race to the car and wins......................

No comments: