Friday 31 August 2012

Oh Lord won't you buy me............

A Mercedes Benz, a colour TV, or a night on the town!!!

If all my friends drive Porsche's they have no children, great jobs and no mortgage!! But hey, jealousy will get us everywhere and we may as well keep asking the good Lord!!!

Janis Joplin, she sang about this, but she was smart, she was quite open, her friends apparently all drove Porsche cars, so she asked for a Mercedes Benz!! I see the wisdom here, why be a sheep...... everyone has a Porsche, so have a Mercedes, it may be a little bit slower, but it is different and in the long run who really cares about a small bit of speed when all around have the same. Look at another way, Porsche cars are easy to sell, no one wants to buy a Mercedes so the price falls in line with the lack of demand, who is silly, not Janis...............

I jest, and take the magic out of a song that truly is magical; "Lord won't you buy me." Your wish is my command, I am sure I have said this before, and yet here we are, yet again, with a classic song, telling us to do exactly the same.

But wait, we take music for granted, we listen to tunes all the time and frequently have no idea what we have heard. I sit here at the end of August knowing that I listened last night to the Trans Siberian Orchestra and some of their Christmas songs before their Night Castle Album which is not Christmas. I am sat here now with a variety of songs playing from Bat Out of Hell through to a version of Hallelujah performed by Jeff Buckley.

Every possible type of music is here, a few classical tunes such as Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory, and some real weepy love songs, "mushy crap" as they are referred to by my nearest and dearest. Throw in a helping of ballads and some heavy rock such as Led Zeppelin and Guns and Roses and suddenly we have a variety which becomes divers to the extreme. And I do not care, I like all the songs, and that is all that matters. The mix is called JTS Ipod and it is on my Ipod, and when I can't sleep, which is often, in go the earphones, on goes the mix and VoilĂ , 10(ish) hours of music!!!!

I have other things on the Ipod, albums and audio books, and this brings me to my warning of tonight, Audio Books.......

I want to warn everyone of the dangers of listening to audio books, when in bed, and then falling asleep.

  • We start listening, and enjoying the book, it begins at chapter 1 and away we go.
  • It works its magic and at chapter 12 we fall asleep.
  • The book keeps playing and in our sleep, or however, the Ipod turns off at chapter 27.
  • Rewinding on an Ipod is not really possible.
  • Up to chapter 12 we have listened intently and heard a key character die / go to prison forever / vanish.
  • Chapter 32 and the character is doing something vital!! Has he been resurrected / escaped / reappeared???
  • Before we find out, and still worrying we fall asleep!!
  • Chapter 58, more confusion, and is the afore mentioned character now dead / escaped / in prison / vanished / appeared????
  • Sleep is now impossible, rewind is not an option and you now stay awake until the end of the book.
  • And you are still not really any wiser!!! 
And I can prove this, I have had the audio book of the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown for over 2 years, I have listened to this at least a dozen times, and at this time I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD THE WHOLE BOOK!!!!

My wife has bought me the paperback version, so I have had the audio book that long, but I am that confused that I am afraid to read it, all I know is that there is revenge involved, a kidnap, masons and Washington DC and also that Robert Langdon gets drowned, very graphically, but 10 chapters later is being a hero!!! There is a love interest for him and he does save her at some point, I think after he drowns, but by now I am just confused again, so it may be earlier!!

So now I have passed on my warning, I realise I have rambled a little tonight, maybe it is like listening to an audio book - it misses out chunks, but you never know where or what!!!!

I hope it helps...............

No comments: